Blog Archive

Thursday, September 24, 2009

sufism frm islam

Selection of quotations relating to Sufism
(a) from the Qur'an
In the name of God, the Clement, the Merciful,
Praise be to God, the Lord of the worlds,
The Clement, the Merciful,
The owner of the Day of Judgement,
Thee we worship and in Thee we seek refuge.
Guide us upon the straight path
The path of those to whom Thou art gracious,
Not of those upon whom Thine anger hath fallen,
Nor of those who are astray.
The Opening Sura

He (God) is the First and the Last, the Outwardly Manifest
and the Inwardly Hidden.
Sura of Iron, 3

We (God) are nearer to him (man) than his jugular vein.
Sura of Qaf, 16
God is the light of the Heavens and the earth.
Sura of Light, 35

And bear with those who call on their Lord, morning and evening,
seeking His Face.
Sura of the Cave, 28

It is not their eyes that are blind, but their hearts.
Sura of the Pilgrimage, 46


(b) from the Traditions (ahadith)
Verily My mercy taketh precedence over My wrath.
hadith qudsi

My Heaven cannot contain Me, nor can My earth, but the heart of My believing slave can contain Me.
hadith qudsi

God is beautiful, and He loves beauty.

All that is beautiful comes from the beauty of God.

The heart of man is the Throne of God.

Whose knoweth himself, knoweth his Lord.

Be in this world as a stranger or as a passer-by.


(c) from the Sufis

My heart has opened unto every form: it is a pasture for gazelles, a cloister for Christian monks, a temple for idols, the Ka'ba of the pilgrim, the tables of the Torah and the book of Qur'an. I practice the religion of Love; in whatsoever directions its caravans advance, the religion of Love shall be my religion and my faith.
Muhyi 'd-Din ibn 'Arabi (d.1240)


The end of knowledge is that man comes to the point where he was at the origin.
Abu Yazid al-Bistami (d. 875)


I saw my Lord with the eye of the heart. I said: Who art Thou?
He answered: Thou.
Mansur al-Hallaj (d. 922)

No comments:

Post a Comment